The Turnaround Challenge
The Turnaround Challenge: Why America's best opportunity to dramatically improve student achievement lies in our worst performing schools was published in November 2007. To date, over 200,000 copies of the main report have been downloaded and the report's framework is being used to develop turnaround strategies in dozens of schools, districts and states, and is informing federal policy as well.
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation funded the research and development of the original report, as well as a follow-up grant to work with a variety of partners to research and create strategies to implement The Turnaround Challenge's framework in the field. This R&D initiative, Meeting the Turnaround Challenge, resulted in two main reports and dozens of supplemental reports and supporting resources that can help policymakers and practitioners "operationalize" turnaround Partnership Zones. Additional resources are being added to our resource center as they are created.
School Turnaround Group Publications
- Being Bold: An assessment of turnaround initiatives in select school districts and states
- Negotiating for Change: Modifying Collective Bargaining Agreements for School Turnaround
- CCSR 5 Essential Flyer
- CCSR Measures and Sample Items
- CPS metrics
- Forging partnerships for turnaround: Emerging lessons from state RFP processes
- LEA and Lead Partner MOU Template
- School Turnaround Strategies That Have Failed